Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Food, driving, and the view from the church

As the title suggests, this post is a strange amalgamation of some different random things.

First, food.  Bryant and I were eating some sautéed string beans the other night and realized something.  The beans inside the pods here aren't green.  They're bluish purple.  Don't believe me?  See for yourself.



I'm starting to not be phased by anything food-related, especially when it comes to color.  Like those green oranges I found the other day.

Now to the driving.  My greatest friend of all time here, Patty, offered to let me drive her car to the grocery store.  I almost forgot to get a picture taken while I was driving, but I remembered about 2 seconds before I got to her house.  My other great friend, Alex, took this picture for which I stopped in the middle of the road. 

Driving on the right side of the car and the left side of the road was a lot of fun!  I especially loved the round-abouts and the way Grenadians drive.  The only hard part was remembering that the blinker was on the right, not the left.  Let's just say I turned on the windshield wipers more than once.

And last but not least, the view from the church.  Some of the branch members say it is the best view on the island, and it is pretty good so I'll let the pictures talk for themselves.


Here's the view from the "parking lot."  Notice how cars are parked behind other cars?  We're all friends here and it means it's hard for people to sneak out of church.


Here is the view from the "hallway."  If you note the picture below, you'll see the reason for the quotation marks.


The whole hallway of the church just has bars across the openings where windows would be, so we rely on the nice ocean breeze to keep things cool.


And here's the view from the primary room (where the lack of air conditioning takes its biggest toll).  So far we've only had one incidence of children undressing in that room, but I'm sure there will be more to come.

There's a little taste of my life so far.  I'll try to be better about actually updating this on a regular basis, instead of doing these fusions of slapdash facts and photos.

1 comment: