Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Saint Georges

Yesterday I went with some of the other SOs (Significant Others) to Saint Georges.  Saint Georges is the capital city here and it was the first time I've been since we got here.  There isn't much to it and it's still what Bryant and I have taken to calling second world--not third-world but a long shot from first-world.  The first place we went was to the spice/fruit market.


Looks like any regular old market, nothing too special.


Anyone know what this red fruit is?


Spoiler alert:  It's avocado.  I never knew it could be red!

After leaving the spice and fruit market, we headed over to the fish market.  It was much less pleasant over there, let me tell you.


It was all enclosed and smelled powerfully of dead fish.  See those clear plastic divider things on the counters?  They dumped fish into them and you could pick one.  There were hardly any left when we got there, so I didn't get any, but one of the girls found a red snapper and pounced on it.  They will clean and even fillet the fish for you in this big sink.


I usually don't have a big problem with fish smell, but it was right around this time that I suddenly got overwhelmed and had to step outside to breathe fresh air for a minute.  Weird.  After a minute I was fine and came back in to watch them finish cleaning the fish.


After the other SO got her fish, we headed back home.  My only prizes from the morning's adventures were this basket of spices,


this bag of guava cheese (really good),


and this sugar apple.


No idea what a sugar apple is, but it sounds good!  I'll keep you posted.  Oh, and I saw this in one of the stores:


It's cologne and body wash for boys.  I almost bought it for Bryant, then I saw the price tag.  $50 EC is about $20 US.  Too much for our negative $37,000 budget. :)

1 comment:

  1. Just read about all of the awesome adventures you are having! Awesome - but seriously, I cannot believe the price of food. It's as expensive as living in Japan! And love the spice market - between that and the fish market you will be cooking like an islander in no time!

    ReplyDelete